Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Today was not a beach day


Happy election day, everyone! I hope you all went out and voted - Brian and I mailed our absentee ballots in last week since we haven't switched our voter registration from Ohio to Florida.

Today was kind of a gray day here in sunny Florida. It reminded me of home though, which was kind of nice. Who knew I'd miss gray fall weather? Anyway, the day was pretty uneventful; however, Brian did have the day off, which was nice. We had planned to go on a picnic at the beach today, but instead Squiggles and I went to a very fun class at the YMCA - a mom/baby dance class. We played baby soccer, danced to some fun kid songs, and even had some free play time at the end. It was a great way for Squiggles to socialize with some other kids, and the fact that I worked up a little sheen was just a bonus. Then we drove down to the Carters outlet in St. Augustine after naptime and picked up some new clothes for the little guy - he's woefully short in the pants and long sleeves department.

SO...the gray weather...the postponed beach picnic...it reminded me of the first time we took Squiggles to the beach here. Now, technically, his first visit to the beach was last year when we came to Florida to visit my family over Thanksgiving. However, Squiggles was only six months old, so I'm not sure what all he took away from that experience.


This time, we had a walking, very curious toddler to take to the beach. He was a little hesitant at first, but he seemed to love the feel of the sand between his toes. Then he was curious about the water, and the waves breaking on the shore. Of course, this led to him being knocked down by one! He recovered like a champ, and from then on, he was all about the beach. In fact, we had a hard time tearing him away when it was time to go home; he flung himself down on the sand and had a little meltdown. As soon as we got him changed into fresh clothes and into the car, though...well...I'll let the picture speak for itself.


I'm glad he likes the beach so much - it's only a 10-15 drive from where we're living now. Brian and I both find it so strange that Squiggles will (likely) grow up thinking that going to the beach is no big deal; while we both saw going to the beach as a once-a-year vacation treat. Crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment